Spring Cleaning Tips With Electrical Safety in Mind
Whether or not you are making spring cleaning a priority this season,Jackson Energy reminds homeowners to address any electrical hazards that could endanger your family.
Here are some reminders about electrical safety if cleaning indoors:
- Move extension cords out of high-traffic areas and evaluate usefulness.
- Inspect cords, plugs and outlets to ensure everything is in good working condition.
- Have an electrical professional install ground-fault circuit interrupters (GFCI).
- Clean forgotten appliances that might have a buildup of things like food debris, oil and dust.
- Test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
And here are reminders of electrical safety if cleaning outdoors:
- Look up and out when using a ladder to avoid electrical lines, keeping a safe 15-feet distance.
- Inspect power tools and outdoor appliances before using them for frayed cords.
- Keep electrical cords and tools away from water, or even wet grass.Waterand electricity do not mix!